Lots of Luv’n Home Pet Care
FOODS NOT SUITABLE FOR DOGS
MAJOR CAUSE OF ALLERGIES, ILLNESS & DEATH
Not all foods suitable for humans are suitable for dogs. In fact, some of them can be dangerous and even fatal. Some can lead to dog food allergies and some will be much more harmful. Immediate action and treatment can help to reduce symptoms as well as prevent long term damage or even death.
Healthy and Happy
Here is just a sample of some commonly known foods that are dangerous if eaten by your Dog.
Apples and Fruits with seeds When dogs consume large amounts of fruits such as apples, and even apricots, these foods can be toxic to dogs. The most dangerous part of these foods are the seeds, leaves and stems.
This is because such fruits contain a compound that is similar to cyanide.
Signs of cyanide poisoning in your dog may include dilated pupils, apprehension, hyperventilation, difficulty breathing and shock.
When These Symptoms Are Present, You Should Seek Assistance from Your Vet
Chocolate – As most people know, chocolate can be fatal to a dog when consumed in large amounts. The reason that chocolate, particularly dark chocolate, can be fatal to dogs is the presence of caffeine as well as methyl xanthine alkaloids and Theo bromine.
When we as humans eat chocolate we are able to digest and then later excrete these items within just a few hours. That is not the case with dogs. It can take much longer for dogs to excrete these items.
In some cases it can take as long as 18 hours. Symptoms include diarrhea and vomiting as well as muscle twitching, hyperactivity, restlessness, excessive panting and increased urination.
In severe cases, there may also be seizure activity. Speak to you vet immediately.
Grapes & Raisins – Many pet owners are not aware, but dogs can actually be poisoned by eating grapes as well as raisins which can result in kidney failure.
Without treatment, a dog can die from consuming too many grapes and raisins. The amount depends on the size of the dog. The best chance of survival is to speak to the vet immediately any time a dog eats large amounts of raisins or grapes.
Spoiled Food – Mouldy or spoiled food can also be dangerous to dogs. Unfortunately, most dogs have a tendency to get into the trash or pick up food of the ground. Medical problems can occur when dogs consume food that is spoiled.
Like humans, dogs can also come down with food poisoning. Certain moulds can produce tremors in dogs. Other symptoms may include vomiting and diarrhea. If symptoms persist please speak with the vet.
Next week we will cover some poisons in your home that can be toxic to your pets.